| #35923 posted 2018-03-21 @ 11:24 GMT |
I have been playing around with Soarer's XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter on a breadboard to use my classic KeyTronic keyboard which has an old XT/AT DIN connector (it is from 1997).
Lets face it, most modern keyboards suck in comparison to the old classic ones. This project makes it possible to connect these old beasts via USB to modern computers and other devices (anything supporting the USB HID standard).
The converter works great, highly recommended, just had to add some pull-up resistors on the clock and data lines towards 5V to get the 'm' and 'n' keys to work properly.
The LEDs are for "NUM Lock", "Caps Lock" and "Scroll Lock".
You can find more info about the project in Soarer's forum post here:
This is my Teensy-based project which adapts XT, AT and some 122 key terminal keyboards to USB, also known simply as "Soarer's Converter".
There are versions for Teensy 2.0 (http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy.html) and Teensy++ 2.0 (http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensypp.html). I recommend the Teensy 2.0 for this (it's cheaper), but sometimes PJRC (http://www.pjrc.com) don't have any in stock!
Keyboard protocols supported:
* XT (scan code set 1)
* AT (scan code set 2)
* PS/2 (MF2) (extended scan code set 2)
* Terminal e.g. 3179/318x/319x (scan code set 3)
Configurable Features: (v0.997+)
* On-the-fly Config Selection
* Full NKRO, if the keyboard supports it (even on Macs!)
* Boot mode support (even with faulty BIOS!)
* Auto-detection of the keyboard type
* XT and AT boards are remapped correctly for PrtSc etc. (see Legacy Note below)
* 1000Hz polling using Full Speed USB
* Suspend and resume support
* Media and Power key support
* Jump to bootloader function (update firmware without pressing the reset button) (v1.0+)
PS: After initially buying the Teensy++ 2.0 for PSJB (PSGroove for PS3), I've had so much use for it in many other projects, impressive little board.
_____________________________ ____________ __________________ /\________
\ __________________ \ _____/____/ _ \ /_ /
/ / | l/ _/ ____) _/ _ \ \/ cREAM /
/______________l_______/ \______________\_______| \_ /________/
-+--Mo!-------------- \________/ ------------------- l_______/_____\ -----+-