PS3 BD Drive swap procedure
Mark Webber @ http://psx-scene.com/forums/776138-post2.html
The required files can be found here.
Before you begin, make sure you are at or below 3.15. If you have 3.55 installed, you will need to use the modified 3.55 downgrade files first, then downgrade to 3.15 or lower and then finally begin the procedure.
1. It would appear that older 256meg nand Ps3's need to goto 2.30. Newer 16meg nand Ps3's should be fine from 3.15
2. Change your dongle to "Factory Service Mode"
3. Copy files from the folder downloaded above (the contents of the devusb folder) to the root of a blank usb stick
4. Copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP from 3.15 (or lower if your system can handle it) to the USB stick
5. Put the USB stick into the right side USB port on the PS3
6. Put the Dongle into any other port (furthest left is best)
7. Power off the PS3 using the power switch at the back
8. Turn the power back on
9. Press power then eject within .2 seconds
10. Wait until the PS3 turns off then press the power button on the front again.
11. The USB will now start to flash and do a "Drive Init" then install the PUP file.
12. The system will turn itself off again.
13. Power on and play a BluRay movie until the movie starts.
14. Remove Dongle and Usb Stick then insert "Exit Lv2diag" stick (aka Lv2diag file 2) into the same port it just was in the Ps3 (furthest to the right)
15. Press power to exit "Factory Service Mode"
Update: It would appear that older 256meg nand Ps3's need to goto 2.30. Newer 16meg nand Ps3's should be fine from 3.15
Update #2: I have a USA console here (I am in Aus) and it is not restoring BD playback. Model is original launch 20gig. This will be a work in progress and try to figure it out. In a nutshell, some drives may not get BD playback but will be able to play games etc etc.